This course provides a comprehensive presentation of low-cost, ready-to-use improvements that enhance the safety of highways. The course covers a synthesis of countermeasures and their associated crash reduction factors as identified in the "AASHTO Strategic
Highway Safety Plan -- NCHRP 500 Guidebooks." Countermeasures for specific areas of highway safety, including roadside hazards; signing, markings, and lighting; traffic control devices; intersections; traffic signals; and railroad grade crossings are discussed.
The course also introduces recent low-cost safety improvements that have been developed by States and local engineers. Through exercises, participants learn how to analyze highway safety situations and apply appropriate countermeasures to those situations.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Identify appropriate engineering countermeasures from crash patterns
- Recognize deficiencies in operation/design and select appropriate countermeasures for roadside hazards
- Recognize deficiencies in safety performance of signing, markings, and lighting, and elect appropriate countermeasures
- Recognize deficiencies in operation/design of intersections and select appropriate countermeasures
- Recognize deficiencies in operation/design of traffic signals and select appropriate countermeasures
- Recognize deficiencies in operation/design of railroad grade crossings and select appropriate countermeasures
- Illustrate new and innovative low-cost safety improvement measures developed by State DOTs
Federal, State, and local transportation, traffic and safety engineers, and planners involved in reducing crashes.
The National Highway Institute (NHI) has been approved as an Authorized Provider
by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET),
1760 Old Meadow Road, Suite 500, McLean, VA 22102. In obtaining this approval, NHI
has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standards which are widely
recognized as standards of good practice internationally. As a result of their Authorized
Provider membership status, NHI is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its programs
that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standards.