This two-day advanced course is of interest to A/E design firms; State DOT and local government auditors; CPAs; and FHWA, State DOT, and A/E design firm financial and/or consultant services management who perform the audit or audit compliance review function
in accordance with the AASHTO Uniform Audit & Accounting Guide (AASHTO Audit Guide). The course focuses primarily on audit requirements and procedures designed to develop reasonable assurance that indirect cost rates are developed in accordance with applicable
Federal regulations and guidance. The course incorporates small- and large-group discussions, document reviews, case study activities, un-scored self-assessments, and a scored final assessment to reinforce learning.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Perform audit functions related to the planning, performance, or oversight of A/E consultant indirect cost rate audits.
- Determine and attest to A/E consultant compliance with applicable guidance and/or requirements.
- Discuss how State DOTs will use the CPA Workpaper Review Program (AASHTO Audit Guide Appendix A) to evaluate audits performed by CPAs.
- Identify and apply appropriate audit tools and techniques as specified in the AASHTO Audit Guide.
- Describe the components of a complete audit report and how to evaluate the report presentation.
- Describe various components of the State DOT's oversight and risk management framework.
- Describe at a high level the FHWA's roles and responsibilities in its stewardship and oversight of Federal-Aid funds related to procurement of A/E design services and administration of related agreements.
This course is primarily for those who perform one or more of the following functions: o Perform indirect cost rate audits for A/E design firms o Ensure consistency with the AASHTO Audit Guide o Ensure compliance of contracts or subcontracts o Provide oversight
of local agency contracts or subcontracts o Review cost proposals o Audit indirect cost and contract proposals o Close out and perform final reconciliation of contracts o Design and enforce internal control systems o Review RFPs and contracts for government
projects o Evaluate the effectiveness of the State DOT oversight and risk management framework
The National Highway Institute (NHI) has been approved as an Authorized Provider
by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET),
1760 Old Meadow Road, Suite 500, McLean, VA 22102. In obtaining this approval, NHI
has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standards which are widely
recognized as standards of good practice internationally. As a result of their Authorized
Provider membership status, NHI is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its programs
that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standards.