NHI 151047 is a 3-hour WBT that discusses the process for providing grant funding and Common Grant Rule requirements found in 49 CFR Part 18 (i.e. pre-award, post award, and after-the-award). The course reviews OMB grant circulars and the general Grant Rule
for Institutions of Higher Education, Hospitals and other Non-Profit Organizations.
This Web-based training (WBT) course is one of a series designed as an introduction to FHWA planning and research grant administration. The series includes four independent WBTs that cover the history of FHWA planning and research grants, the Common Grant
Rule, Cost Principles, and Audits:
FHWA-NHI-151046--FHWA Planning and Research Grants: History, Sources, and Regulations;
FHWA-NHI-151047--FHWA Planning and Research Grants: Common Grant Rule;
FHWA-NHI-151048--FHWA Planning and Research Grants: Cost Principles; and
FHWA-NHI-151049--FHWA Planning and Research Grants: Audits.
These WBTs are designed to complement FHWA-NHI-151021 Administration of FHWA Planning and Research Grants, a 2-day Instructor-led training course. They are not intended to replace NHI 151021.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Identify laws and implementing regulations (issued by FHWA, U.S. Department of Administration [DOT] and applicable OMB circulars) that apply to the administration of Federal-aid funding
- Describe how to apply Federal laws and regulations to administer funds
- Define the basic principles of Federalism incorporated in the Common Grant Rule
- Describe pre-award, post-award, and after-the-award Common Grant Rule requirements
- Differentiate among requirements at different stages of the Common Grant Rule
The target audience includes FHWA, State Department of Transportation (State DOT), Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO), and other agency staff who expend or administer Federal-aid funds, including planning, engineering, and fiscal staff.