The course is designed to provide participants with the necessary knowledge and skills to plan, select, and implement instrumentation programs in geotechnical features for construction monitoring and performance verification. The course will discuss measurement
tools, including recommendations for a systematic and complete approach to planning monitoring programs. The course presents recommendations for selecting proper instrumentation for various types of construction. Tasks covered include calibration, maintenance
and installation of instrumentation, collection of data, processing and presentation of collected data, interpretation of processed data, and reporting of results.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Recognize effective uses of geotechnical instrumentation in transportation projects
- Identify benefits of instrumentation
- Identify typical instrumentation programs for common transportation structures
- Recognize role of instrumentation and how it is used for answering key geotechnical questions
- Identify available instruments and where to find additional information and assistance
- Plan an instrumentation program in a systematic way
- Examine practical methods to collect and use data from instrumentation
- Perform an evaluation of the need for and potential benefits of geotechnical instrumentation on a project
The target audience is bridge, geotechnical, or transportation engineers with 0 to 20 years of experience and responsible for the planning, design, and implementation of instrumentation programs for geotechnical construction on surface transportation facilities.
The National Highway Institute (NHI) has been approved as an Authorized Provider
by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET),
1760 Old Meadow Road, Suite 500, McLean, VA 22102. In obtaining this approval, NHI
has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standards which are widely
recognized as standards of good practice internationally. As a result of their Authorized
Provider membership status, NHI is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its programs
that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standards.