This 1.5-day course provides training on the appropriate, cost-effective utilization of geosynthetics in transportation applications. The course examines the use of geotextiles and geogrids as soil reinforcement. Embankments over soft foundations, geosynthetic
reinforced MSE walls, reinforced soil slopes, and geosynthetic reinforced load transfer platforms are addressed.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- List three geosynthetic reinforcement applications for transportation works
- Identify four types of geosynthetic reinforcements, and discuss relative strengths and cost
- State and review construction procedures for geosynthetic reinforcement installations
- Identify primary design references for geosynthetic reinforcement applications for transportation works
- Review design concepts and determine the basic design requirements for embankments over soft foundations, mechanically stabilized earth walls and earth slopes transportation applications
- Select appropriate material property and design parameter test methods and prepare specification requirement for geosynthetic reinforcement
Federal, State and local transportation personnel (bridge, geotechnical, construction engineers, and construction inspectors and technicians) involved with design and/or construction of transportation facilities that incorporate reinforced soil earthworks.
In addition, public agency and private sector construction engineers and project inspectors responsible for installation, construction monitoring and inspection of reinforced soil installations can attend either course. There are no prerequisites, although
prior attendance in FHWA-NHI-132012 Soils and Foundations Workshop is recommended.
The National Highway Institute (NHI) has been approved as an Authorized Provider
by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET),
1760 Old Meadow Road, Suite 500, McLean, VA 22102. In obtaining this approval, NHI
has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standards which are widely
recognized as standards of good practice internationally. As a result of their Authorized
Provider membership status, NHI is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its programs
that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standards.