Course 132013 C (1 1/2 day) provides training on the appropriate, cost-effective utilization of geosynthetics in roadway applications. The course examines the use of geotextiles, geogrids, and pavement edge drains in pavement structures. Applications of
filtration, drainage, roadway separation, roadway reinforcement, roadway subgrade improvement, and pavement overlays are addressed.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- List four geosynthetic pavement applications for transportation works
- Identify four types of geosynthetics used in pavement systems, and identify functions they perform
- Calculate if geosynthetics are a feasible, cost-effective option for construction or maintenance of pavements
- State and review construction procedures for geosynthetic pavement installations
- Review design concepts and determine the basic design requirements for geosynthetics in pavement systems
- Select appropriate material property and design parameter test methods and prepare specification requirement for geosynthetic reinforcement
Federal, State and local transportation personnel (pavement, geotechnical, construction, and maintenance engineers, and construction inspectors and technicians) involved with design and/or construction and/or maintenance of pavement systems. In addition,
public agency and private sector construction engineers and project inspectors responsible for installation, construction monitoring and inspection of geosynthetics installations can attend either course. There are no prerequisites, although prior attendance
in FHWA-NHI-132012 Soils and Foundations Workshop and FHWA-NHI-132040 Geotechnical Aspects of Pavements are recommended.
The National Highway Institute (NHI) has been approved as an Authorized Provider
by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET),
1760 Old Meadow Road, Suite 500, McLean, VA 22102. In obtaining this approval, NHI
has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standards which are widely
recognized as standards of good practice internationally. As a result of their Authorized
Provider membership status, NHI is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its programs
that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standards.