This 1.5-day provides training on the appropriate, cost-effective utilization of geosynthetics in hydraulic applications for transportation works. The course examines the use of geotextiles, pavement edge drains, drainage composites, erosion control materials,
and sediment control materials. Applications of filtration, drainage, temporary and permanent erosion control, and sediment control are addressed. Geomembrane applications of flow barriers, containment ponds and pavement are summarized.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- List four geosynthetic hydraulic applications for transportation works
- Identify three types of erosion control geosynthetics and the functions they perform
- Discuss feasibility and cost-effectiveness of geosynthetics in drainage and filtration applications
- State and review construction procedures for geosynthetic drainage, filtration, and erosion control installations
- Review design concepts and determine the basic design requirements for geosynthetics in conventional drains and erosion control applications
- Explain difference between temporary and permanent erosion control geosynthetics
- Select appropriate material property and design parameter test methods and prepare specification requirement for hydraulic applications of geosynthetics
Federal, State and local transportation personnel (hydraulic, erosion control, geotechnical, construction, and maintenance engineers, and construction inspectors and technicians) involved with design and/or construction and/or maintenance of transportation
facilities that incorporate drainage and/or erosion control features. In addition, public agency and private sector construction engineers and project inspectors responsible for installation, construction monitoring and inspection of geosynthetic drainage
and/or erosion control installations can attend either course. There are no prerequisites, although prior attendance of NHI course 132012 - Soils and Foundations Workshop is recommended.
The National Highway Institute (NHI) has been approved as an Authorized Provider
by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET),
1760 Old Meadow Road, Suite 500, McLean, VA 22102. In obtaining this approval, NHI
has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standards which are widely
recognized as standards of good practice internationally. As a result of their Authorized
Provider membership status, NHI is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its programs
that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standards.